Truck drivers are the life blood of our country as more than 80 percent of all U.S. communities depend solely on trucking for delivery of their goods and commodities**. Professional truck drivers serve America everyday by providing the goods we use from toothbrushes to tires. As a veteran you served America, now you can continue to help by keeping America moving! Here are some helpful tips for transitioning military veterans considering a career as a truck driver.

1. Will my GI Bill cover the costs of tuition to Roadmaster Drivers School?

It depends on the discharge status and time of service. Chapter 33 vets with honorable discharge must have served 36 month for 100% of the tuition.  The benefits are pro-rated for serving less than 36 months. A vet serving 90 days but less than 6 months would receive 40% which is only $2598.00 and would not cover the tuition.

2. Is there an advantage for vets with a Class A CDL versus regular civilians?

With the national shortage of truck drivers, it presents an employment opportunity to veterans returning to the civilian work force.  Having a CDL means less chance for layoffs for veterans. Carriers also know that military families are used to situations where a member of the family may be away from home for longer lengths of time.

3. Is there a way to train ahead of time for my CDL before leaving the military?

Most military branches offer Tuition Assistance for active members. They can train while on active duty but they would need to enroll in an accredited school that was approved for Title IV tuition funding to receive T A.  Roadmaster schools are not eligible for Tuition Assistance paid by the military. Many veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan that were assigned to a transportation unit will come back with some driving skills.  Depending on the assigned duty, they may be waivered and not be required to take the CDL tests to receive their CDL.

4. Is there a military discount if I attend Roadmaster Drivers School?

There is a military discount available at the Fontana school in California due to regulations. 

5. How can I enroll from overseas? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

If you are asking how to enroll in the school, they can enroll with us by mail. If you are asking about applying for benefits, they can do it on line through VA Once. This is a web based application process they can access from anywhere that has internet connections. You can also go to which is a web page that will help them understand the process. One of our Certifying Officials can help them through the process.  It should not take long.

In Closing, We at Roadmaster Drivers School understand that the transition from a career in the military back into the civilian world can sometimes be a stressful period of your life. Veterans leaving the service are often confronted with an extremely tough job market and struggle to match their skills with a civilian career. The transportation industry is experiencing tremendous growth! The number of truck drivers needed to fill these positions in the next ten years is expected to reach 320,000*. The disciplined, get it done mindset that our armed forces instills in its service men and women has proven to be an ideal match for a career as a CDL professional.